Thursday 16 April 2009

Project: bathroom cabinet

(please excuse the too-large pictures in this post, since switching to Mac I've not worked out how to resize images to fit my narrow layout!)
This past weekend my wonderful Mr found the time to put our revamped bathroom cabinet up on the wall, so I decided it's high-time for a post on the 'making of'. Here's the finished product in all its glory:






















This cabinet started life as a medicine cupboard in the bathroom of my great-aunts house. The doors once held two mirrors, which by the time I got hold it the cupboard had long since broken and been removed. My mum had been keeping this in the loft for the last few years waiting for a time it might come in useful when my sister or I were setting up home. 





















First up I removed the small brackets which were once used to hold the mirror glass onto the doors (and have saved these for use in the future, you never know!) then I primed the doors using white undercoat. 




















Once the undercoat was dry I painted two top coats of "Morris Blue" emulsion (from the Heritage range 1869 by Craig & Rose). I glued four seaside scene postcards to the doors and sealed them with a layer of PVA glue, hopefully this will be enough to prevent the steam in the bathroom causing the postcards to curl and peel off. 




















Once the glue was all dry and the postcards seemed pretty well stuck, I attached seashells and some small decorations (left over from a previous project which resulted in a very large smashed mirror after a cat jumped through a window!). I reattached the handles and there you have it!




















Just a final picture of the inside - there are two sections each with a small shelf (note the cupboard is upside down in the pic). Jasmine the cat kindly posed with the cupboard to show a sense of scale in this picture...
The cupboard is now safely and securely on our bathroom wall and proving to be very useful indeed. Hurrah!

1 comment:

sonia from texas said...

Hello! I love your blog! This is the very first blog I have ever responded to. I love the bathroom cabinet idea. I will be visiting you more often just to get ideas for my little house. Keep on creating these beautiful furnishings.
Sonia from Texas